Day 4 of my 30 day blog series journaling my experiment with a Capsule Kitchen. The plan? Use 33 ingredients to create all our meals for three months. If you just joined me you can either start at Day 1 or view all Capsule Kitchen posts.
On Day 3 I created my Capsule Kitchen List of foods. Today I’m going to inventory my pantry and refrigerator.
Items Not On My List
I found many items that I don’t include on my list. My pantry contains:
- 1 small box of quinoa - purchased weeks ago to try in a new recipe I haven’t made
- 1 small can of chipolte peppers in adobe sauce - purchased months ago for another new recipe I never made
- baking supplies - flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, etc. that my daughter uses to make treats
- a box of cereal - that only my son likes
- a loaf of bread - requested by my children
- a box of rotini pasta and two jars of marinara sauce
- 2 (4oz) cans roasted green chilies
- 2 (12.5oz) cans chunk white chicken
- 1 can of albacore tuna - only my son and I will eat this
- partial small bag oyster crackers - requested by my daughter for a recent soup meal
- a large jar of popcorn - my children’s snack of choice
My refrigerator and freezer also contain many non-list items:
- a pint of 1/2 & 1/2 - use for a couple of recipes
- 1 bag of precooked frozen meatballs - my kids heat these up for a quick meal
- 1 bag frozen tortellini - another meal my kids like with olive oil and Italian seasoning
- 2 (32oz) bags of frozen mixed veggies - used in several recipes as a shortcut
- a large bag of frozen berry mix - used in fruit smoothies
- a large block of cheese - my children shred this to add to meals
- a tube of turkey breakfast sausage
- small containers of lemon juice and lime juice - used to make guacamole
Instead of throwing these items into the trash, I’ll incorporate them in this first month of meals.
Items On My List
I was happy to find several of my list ingredients. This confirms that my list does reflect what we are eating.
On Day 5, I will create a grocery list and go shopping.
Take A Look In Your Pantry
What’s the strangest ingredient you found? Is it an ingredient you use for a go-to meal? Would you include it on your list?