Day 12 of my 30 day blog series journaling my experiment with a Capsule Kitchen. The plan? Use 33 ingredients to create all our meals for three months. If you just joined me you can either start at Day 1 or view all Capsule Kitchen posts.
On Day 11 I put my “boys” to work cooking dinner. Harrison’s sweet potato fries were delicious. Mike did a good job working the grill. The hamburgers, served on tortillas, cooked just like we like them.
The asparagus was nicely grilled. Unfortunately, it did not taste good. Mike and I each had a small portion for dinner. I did put the left-over asparagus in the refrigerator because Mike says he will have some more for lunch today. But, I don’t think it will be served again. Another left-over into the trash. I hope this doesn’t become a regular thing with new recipes.
This morning I spent a couple of hours prepping food for the next few days. I cooked diced onions and 2 pounds of ground beef to have it ready to go for some upcoming meals. Half of it will go in a Ziploc in the freezer.
After the beef came bacon. I really don’t like cooking bacon. I’ve been cooking it in my new-to-me cast iron pan. (Thanks Ashley!) It takes 3 rounds to cook the entire package. This morning I cooked the bacon in my electric skillet. It only took 2 rounds. The electric skillet is quicker, but the flavor isn’t quite as good. This bacon will be used in other dishes, so it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.
One of those dishes is the large pan of scrambled eggs that I cooked. I planned to put the eggs in tortillas and freeze some breakfast tacos. But I ran out of time and ambition. So the scrambled eggs are in the fridge and ready for a tortilla at meal time.
I’m going to try another new recipe tonight. You’d think I’d go with something safe after yet another partial meal disaster. But, this recipe looks good.
Oven Fried Chicken Chimichangas
- 2/3 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, leaves crushed
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onion, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
- 8 in flour tortilla
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cheddar cheese, shredded, for serving
- Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling.
- Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.
We’ll skip the cheese. But I’ll have Miranda make some guacamole and set out the sour cream and tortillas chips.
Give Me Some Pointers
Do you like asparagus? How do you prepare it?