One year ago today we dodged incoming contractors hired by the buyer of our house, moving the last things out while they came in with toolboxes and ladders to install up-to-code smoke detectors and replace a back window to ready it as a rental. We pulled the truck across the street into our neighbor / friends driveway, re-installed our bike rack, loaded up bikes, and then asked one of the contractors to move his van so we could hitch up.
As we pulled out we looked back and it felt very right. The house was no longer our home.
This past year has gone by so quickly - much quicker than our initial year on the road. So much of it’s a blur that it’s easy to forget just what we’ve done since making that transition.
So, I thought I would make a list. In no particular order, since selling the house we:
- Became completely debt free!.
- Were featured on the front page of our local newspaper.
- Drove a NASCAR Race car.
- Piloted a Houseboat on the Mississippi River.
- Backtracked 2 hours to help at a book launch party for authors we had never met.
- Bought a wooden baseball bat from a pig-farming pharmacist making them on the side.
- Swam under a waterfall in TX.
- Danced in an Indian Pow-wow.
- Gave a Presentation on the Sonoran Desert at a Campground.
- Went Kayaking in Arizona for a day with a total stranger.
- Took an Archery Class.
- Ate birthday cake at White Sands National Park.
- Saw the bats in Austin, Texas
- Fed Alpacas & held a baby alpaca (Cria).
- Saw the Tigers clinch the AL Division while in Kansas City.
- Went to a Makers Faire in Detroit.
- Rode horses in the Great Smoky Mountains
- Worked for a county campground in Mesa, AZ
- Spent our first Christmas away from family.
- Saw prairie dog babies peeking out of their hole at a desert museum.
- Hiked through the desert at night in a rain storm.
- Hiked through the desert under a full moon.
- Played frisbee on the Pacific Ocean.
- Ate Prickly Pear Gelato
- Saw Brian Setzer and Jim Cullum in concert.
- Met about dozen other traveling families and non-traditional couples.
- Met a number of peers and online friends in their hometowns.
On the short list while we are in Southern California: surfing lessons and a rental convertible to go beach cruising in. First up is reconnecting with some family again!