Gallons of goat milk every morning.
Some of the goat milk is for drinking. What about the rest of the milk?
As I mentioned in a previous post, all goat milk is filtered in the dairy kitchen. After filtering we cool the milk intended for drinking.
We didn’t cool the milk that we needed for other goat milk products. To make yogurt, we:
- Measure and pour the milk into a double boiler
- Begin heating it
- Heat until any bacteria are killed
- Move pot to cold bath to cool milk before adding the culture
- We then divide the mixture among the electric yogurt makers (similar to this one)
- After 12 or 24 hours (depending on customer request) we remove the yogurt from the heating element
- Yogurt cooked for 24 hours ends up with higher healthy bacteria count and less tartness
- Package the yogurt into containers for sale