The Ditching Suburbia podcast looks at a different aspects of non-suburban life, or talks with people looking ditch the suburbs.
If you have achieved the "American Dream" but found it a nightmare, if you feel like you never see your kids, if you yearn for a simpler life or more adventure - give it a listen!
#73: Becoming Ditchers: Shelly BuchiShelly, her husband and two children are six days into their one year sabbatical on a sailboat. They've rented out their home in Vancouver, sold their car, and moved onto their 42' boat at a marina. They are enjoying the waters around Vancouver Island for the summer, then taking on some crew and heading down to Mexico.
We come from a regular run of the mill lifestyle with fulltime jobs working our butts off day after day, sending our kids off to school. We see them for an hour at night for bathtime and bedtime. We thought we’d take a break and try a different lifestyle.Shelly Buchi
During this podcast Mike and Shelly talk about:
- Their family with a 5 year old boy and 8 year old girl
- The current life of a CFO and Chemical Engineer ‘working their butts off day after day’
- Starting small with a sailboat
- What boat life is like 6 days in
- What telling employers, friends and family about the plan was like
- Taking a complete break from jobs
- Boat safety for kids including tethers and lifejackets
- Preparing for medical issues while at sea
- What “gunkholing” means
- Transitioning from public school to boat-schooling using a distance education program
- The Kids4Sail Facebook Group
- The main concerns for a sailing family
- Their planned route
- And much more….
You can find Shelly and her family on the web at:
This episode of the Ditching Suburbia Podcast is sponsored by meori Folding Boxes. We love these boxes for suburbia-ditchers because they fold down when not in use. Then when you visit the farmer’s market, go on a long daytrip, or run the dingy to shore you can unfold the meori box and carry up to 65 pounds.
We kept our meori box even after downsizing to our campervan - see our full review of the meori folding box system.
Use the discount code of TRAVEL to save 15% off your purchase on Meori.com.